An unexpected battery failure is bound to happen on your equipment period. A jump-start is the best quick fix. It is important to connect your jumper cables properly to ensure a safe and successful jump-start. Jeff Payne, Caterpillar Preventative Maintenance Instructor, provides step-by-step instructions for properly jump-starting your Cat® equipment in his video.
How to Jump-Start your Cat Machine
- Connect the positive cable to the positive side of the battery on the active power source (good vehicle)
- Connect the positive cable to the positive side of the battery the positive side of the dead battery
- Connect the ground/negative cable to the frame, outside of the battery box
- Any outer frame connection can ground off the engine block
- Do not connect the ground cable to the inside of the battery box. Sparks can ignite the fumes inside the box and cause the battery to blow up. A spark on the outside of the battery box is likely to occur, but will not damage the battery.
Note: These are general instructions. Please consult your Hawthorne Cat Service Team with any questions.
General Service Manager