Careers – Technician Training Program
Hawthorne Technician Apprenticeship Program (HTAP)
The Hawthorne Technician Apprenticeship Program (HTAP) teaches you how to service Cat equipment using cutting-edge diagnostic and maintenance systems, advanced technologies, and high-tech tools. This program is a terrific opportunity for personal growth and a rewarding, lifelong career. The four-year apprentice program combines on-the-job training at Hawthorne Cat with college-level diesel technology and general education coursework at Miramar College. Student apprentices will rotate between the classroom/lab environment at Miramar College and our various shops in San Diego for paid on-the job training. This will allow students to successfully apply classroom learning in real world applications.
As students progress through the four-year program, time spent in the shop will increase. They will be enrolled in six to seven diesel technology class credits a semester, which depending on the school/class is usually two classes. The apprentice will also be required to work 30 hours of on-the-job training per week. After the apprenticeship program is completed, students will earn their California Journeyman Technician Certification and will be offered the opportunity to become a technician at Hawthorne Cat. HTAP Apprentices are Hawthorne Cat employees and are eligible for benefits.
How to Apply –
The following documents must be submitted as part of the application process:
- Resume: Describing related school and career activities, leadership roles and work experience.
- Three Letters of recommendation: One from a teacher, one from a current or previous employer, counselor, or school administrator and one from a person of your choice.
- Essay: A minimum of 250 words in length, describing why you want to pursue a career in the Diesel/Heavy Equipment Industry.
- Official Transcript(s): From high school, college, or university. GED or CHSP certificates are acceptable.
- Other documents: DD-214 (If applicable).
- Be at least 18 years of age by the first apprenticeship period
- Have a high school diploma, General Education Development (GED) certificate, a California High School Proficiency (CHSP) certificate or an Associate or higher degree
- Submit an official transcript from the qualifying agency listed above
- Meet Miramar College and Hawthorne Cat admission and academic requirements
- Have a valid California driver’s license and maintain a clean driving record
- Submit to a pre-employment drug and alcohol test and physical
- Must pass a background check
- Demonstrate commitment to the industry and profession
Upload your documents along with your online application or submit by mail or personal delivery to:
Attn: Human Resources
16945 Camino San Bernardo
San Diego, CA 92127
Equal Opportunity Employer
Hawthorne Machinery Co. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is our policy that we will not discriminate against any person based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.
Hawthorne Machinery Co. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
If you feel you need a reasonable accommodation while seeking employment, please email [email protected] or call: 800.437.4228. We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.