California Collection Notice
HAWTHORNE CAT NOTICE TO CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
Effective as of May 12, 2020
Last Updated January 1, 2023
The CCPA defines “personal information” to mean information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular California resident or household. Personal information does not include publicly available, deidentified or aggregated information or lawfully obtained, truthful information that is a matter of public concern. For purposes of this Notice we will refer to this information as “Personal Information.”
If you are a California resident and a current or former employee, job applicant, or independent contractor of ours, please see our privacy notice available here for more information on our collection and use of your Personal Information in that capacity.
Notice at Collection of Personal Information
We currently collect and, in the 12 months prior to the Last Updated Date of this Notice, have collected the following categories of Personal Information:
- Identifiers (name, alias, postal address, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, Social Security number, driver’s license number, passport number, other similar identifiers)
- Unique personal identifiers (device identifier; cookies, beacons, pixel tags, mobile ad identifiers, or other similar technology)
- Other type of state identification card number
- Telephone number
- Physical characteristics or description
- Bank account number
- Credit and debit card number
- Insurance policy number
- Other financial information
- Medical information
- Insurance policy number or subscriber identification number
- Any unique identifier used by health insurer to identify consumer
- Internet or other electronic network activity information (browsing history; search history; and information regarding consumer’s interaction with website, application or advertisement)
- Geolocation data
- Commercial information (records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained or considered; other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies; or other commercial information)
- Education information
- Professional or employment-related information (including employment history)
- Biometric information (imagery of iris, imagery of retina, fingerprint, imagery of face, imagery of hand, imagery of palm, vein patterns, voice recordings, from which an identifier template, such as a faceprint, a minutiae template, or a voiceprint, can be extracted, keystroke patterns or rhythms, gait patterns or rhythms, and sleep, health or exercise data that contain identifying information)
- Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law (race, color, sex/gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and/or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age (40 and older), religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, disability (mental and physical including HIV/AIDS, cancer, and genetic characteristics), citizenship status, genetic information, marital status, medical condition (genetic characteristics, cancer or a record or history of cancer), military or veteran status, political affiliations or activities, status as a victim of domestic violence, assault or stalking, request for family care leave, request for leave for an employee’s own serious health condition, request for pregnancy disability leave, and retaliation for reporting patient abuse in tax-supported institutions)
- Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information
We collect Personal Information directly from California residents and from Caterpillar Inc., business affiliates or contractors, credit reference agencies, public databases, advertising networks, internet service providers, data analytics providers, government entities, operating systems and platforms, and social networks. We do not collect all categories of Personal Information from each source.
- Auditing related to counting ad impressions to unique visitors, verifying positioning and quality of ad impressions, and auditing compliance with this specification and other standards
- Helping to ensure security and integrity to the extent the use of your Personal Information is reasonably necessary and proportionate for these purposes
- Short-term, transient use, including, but not limited to, non personalized advertising shown as part of your current interaction with us, provided that your Personal Information is not disclosed to another third party and is not used to build a profile about you or otherwise alter your experience outside the current interaction with us
- Performing services, including maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, verifying customer information, processing payments, providing financing, providing analytic services, or providing similar services
- Providing advertising and marketing services, except for cross-context behavioral advertising, to you
- Undertaking internal research for technological development and demonstration
- Advancing our commercial or economic interests, such as by inducing another person to buy, rent, or lease products or goods or enabling or effecting, directly or indirectly, a commercial transaction
Sale, Sharing, and Disclosure of Personal Information
The following table identifies the categories of Personal Information that we sold or shared to third parties in the 12 months preceding the Last Updated Date of this Notice and, for each category, the categories of third parties to whom we sold or shared Personal Information:
The following table identifies the categories of Personal Information that we disclosed for a business purpose in the 12 months preceding the Last Updated Date of this Notice and, for each category, the categories of recipients to whom we disclosed Personal Information.
We disclosed Personal Information for all of the business and commercial purposes described above. We do not knowingly collect or sell or share the Personal Information of minor consumers under 16 years of age. We do not collect or process sensitive personal information for the purpose of inferring characteristics about individuals or use sensitive personal information for purposes other than those allowed by the CCPA and its regulations.
Retention of Personal Information
We retain your Personal Information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we collect it, such as to provide you with the service you have requested, and for the purpose of satisfying any legal, accounting, contractual, or reporting requirements that apply to us.
If you are a California resident, you have the following rights with respect to your Personal Information:
- The right to know what Personal Information we have collected about you, including the categories of Personal Information, the categories of sources from which we collected Personal Information, the business or commercial purpose for collecting, selling or sharing Personal Information (if applicable), the categories of third parties to whom we disclose Personal Information (if applicable), and the specific pieces of Personal Information we collected about you;
- The right to delete Personal Information that we collected from you, subject to certain exceptions;
- The right to correct inaccurate Personal Information that we maintain about you;
- If we sell or share Personal Information, the right to opt out of the sale or sharing;
- If we use or disclose sensitive Personal Information for purposes other than those allowed by the CCPA and its regulations, the right to limit our use or disclosure; and
- The right not to receive discriminatory treatment by us for the exercise of privacy rights the CCPA confers.
How to Submit a Request to Know, Delete, and/or Correct
To submit a request to know, delete, and/or correct your Personal Information please call us toll free at 1-800-717-9521 or submit a webform by clicking here.
If you are submitting a request on behalf of a California resident, please submit the request through one of the designated methods discussed above. After submitting the request, we will require additional information to verify your authority to act on behalf of the California resident.
Our Process for Verifying a Request to Know, or Delete, and/or Correct
We will comply with your request upon verification of your identity and, to the extent applicable, the identity of the California resident on whose behalf you are making such request. We will verify your identity either to a “reasonable degree of certainty” or a “reasonably high degree of certainty” depending on the sensitivity of the Personal Information and the risk of harm to you by unauthorized disclosure, deletion, or correction as applicable.
For requests to access categories of Personal Information and for requests to delete or correct Personal Information that is not sensitive and does not pose a risk of harm by unauthorized deletion or correction, we will verify your identity to a “reasonable degree of certainty” by verifying at least two data points that you previously provided to us and which we have determined to be reliable for the purpose of verifying identities.
For requests to access specific pieces of Personal Information or for requests to delete or correct Personal Information that is sensitive and poses a risk of harm by unauthorized deletion or correction, we will verify your identity to a “reasonably high degree of certainty” by verifying at least three pieces of Personal Information you previously provided to us and which we have determined to be reliable for the purpose of verifying identities. In addition, you must submit a signed declaration under penalty of perjury stating that you are the individual whose Personal Information is being requested.
Right to Opt Out of Sale or Sharing of Personal Information
If you are a California resident, you have the right to direct us to stop selling or sharing your Personal Information.
You may submit a request to opt out of sales or sharing through our interactive webform available by clicking on this link: Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. You also may submit a request by callings us toll free at 1-800-717-9521 or submitting a webform by clicking here. If you have enabled privacy controls on your browser (such as a plugin), we will also treat that as a valid request to opt out.
Shine the Light Law
We do not disclose personal information obtained through our Site or Services to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. Accordingly, we have no obligations under California Civil Code § 1798.83.
HOW TO CONTACT US
To contact us for questions or concerns about our privacy policies or practices please contact us at 16945 Camino San Bernardo, San Diego, California, 92127, Attn: Legal Department, or electronically at [email protected].