Since the 1920's Cat® bulldozers have been on the job. Cat D6 track dozers heavy duty design and easy controls will save you time and money on today's jobsite.
DESCRIPTIONMove material at a lower cost with a fully automatic transmission, outstanding fuel efficiency and reduced service/maintenance costs. The broadest range of technology features in the industry work together to help you make the most of your equipment investment.The Cat® D6 dozer helps you move material at a lower cost with a fully automatic transmission, outstanding fuel efficiency and reduced service/maintenance costs. The broadest range of technology features in the industry work together to help you make the most of your equipment investment. The D6 is legendary versatility you have come to trust, with added performance and efficiency to help you take your business to the next level.
Cat D6/D6 XE - Pushing Your Profitability Forward
Cat D6 Dozer - Road of Innovation Part 1
Cat D6 Dozer - Road of Innovation Part 2
Cat D6 Dozer - Road of Innovation Part 3
Cat Command for Dozing: Preston Contractors
EFFICIENCY AND PRODUCTIVITY
- Up to 20% better fuel efficiency¹.
- Use up to 13% less fuel².
- Fully automatic 4-speed transmission continuously adjusts for maximum efficiency and power to the ground without added operator input.
- Full auto shift up and down entire working range to maximize fuel efficiency.
² Gallons/liters per hour
Note: All comparisons to 2014-2016 3-speed D6T
MOVE MORE WITH LESS FUEL
- Move up to 20% more material per gallon/liter of fuel used.
- Move up to 5% more material per hour.
- Fully redesigned with updated configurations so you can build just the right machine for the work you do.
- Purpose-built VPAT tractor with optimized balance for grading - no need for rear attachment.
- LGP VPAT design, with 36-inch (915 mm) centered shoes, offers 35 kPa (5 psi) ground pressure.
- Wider blade on the LGP VPAT for high-speed grading.
- Class-leading VPAT range of motion for improved performance, especially when trenching or backfilling.
- VPAT blade remains level when angled for smoother grade.
- Robust push arm dozer for heavy applications with larger SU blade capacity.
- Optional FirstCut™ cutting edges (SU blades) increase blade payload by up to 35% compared to standard cutting edges.
- 10-roller undercarriage option designed for smoother grades at higher speeds, even in difficult surfaces like sand and gravel.
Assist features help make work easier, especially for less experienced operators. Some blade and steering functions are automated so newer operators can work at productivity levels closer to their veteran counterparts. Seasoned operators can enjoy reduced effort and fatigue, along with faster, more accurate results.
- Cat Grade with Slope Assist™ automatically maintains pre-established blade position without a GNSS/GPS signal – no additional hardware or software needed. For machines with 3D, operators can easily switch back and forth from full 3D automatics to Slope Assist.
- Steer Assist automates track and blade tilt steering. Helps reduce operator fatigue by automatically maintaining straight travel with light loads or heavy loads on flat ground and side slopes. Helps reduce steering inputs up to 75%. No GNSS/GPS required.
- Stable Blade works seamlessly with operator inputs to help produce a smoother surface when operating manually.
- Blade Load Monitor gives you real-time feedback on current load versus the optimal blade load based on your ground conditions. Actively monitors machine load and track slip to help you reach optimal pushing capacity.*
- Traction Control automatically reduces track slip to save you time, fuel and track wear.*
- AutoCarry automates blade lift to help you maintain consistent blade load and reduce track slip.*
- Slope Indicate is included in the main machine display and shows side slope and uphill/downhill grades to help operators with slope work.
- Attachment Ready Option (ARO) provides wiring and mounting provisions for dealer installation of Grade with 3D, Accugrade, UTS, or other grade control systems.
- Factory integrated Cat Grade with 3D uses GNSS/GPS to control the blade so you can get to design plan faster.
- Cat Grade with 3D has no masts – low profile antennas are integrated into the cab roof and GNSS/GPS receivers are mounted inside the cab for better protection.
- Automatically follow guidance lines from design plans with Steer Assist 3D. Stay on curb lines, centerlines, bottom of slope, etc., without operator effort. Track steering is used under light loads and blade tilt steering may be added under heavy loads.
- Grade operator interface is intuitive and easier to use: 10-inch (254 mm) touchscreen, Android OS platform, operates like a smart phone.
- All Cat Grade systems are compatible with radios and base stations from Trimble, Topcon, and Leica.
- Already invested in a grade infrastructure? You can install grade systems from Trimble, Topcon, and Leica onto the machine.
- The cab is Third Party Grade Control Ready, equipped with CAN interface, harness pass throughs and mounting features to make it easier to install the grade control system of your choice.
Cat Assist and Grade technologies work in the background to help dozer operators of varied skill levels and are especially beneficial to less experienced operators. To demonstrate just how much these built-in technology features help, Caterpillar put them to the test. Two novice operators and two expert operators took on slot dozing, truck dump spreading/grading in sand, and side slope work. Each operator completed three runs of each task – one in manual, one using Assist technology features, and one using Assist plus Cat Grade with 3D. The team measured productivity*, efficiency**, completion time, final surface quality, and operator inputs.
• Productivity and Efficiency – Novice operators went from 9% lower productivity and efficiency than the experts in manual to matching the experts when using Assist.
Truck Dump Spreading/Grading in Sand
• Completion Time – Novice operators took 49% more time than the experts in manual and narrowed the gap to 17% using Assist and to 9% by adding Grade.
• Blade Inputs – Novice operator blade inputs were reduced 45% with Assist, and 55% with Assist plus Grade. Expert operator blade inputs were reduced 32% with Assist, and 53% with Assist plus Grade.
• Surface Quality – Novice operator surface quality improved up to 51% using technology while expert operator surface quality improved up to 27% using technology. Novice operators using technology produced similar surface quality to the expert operators in manual.
Side Slope/Steer Assist
• Steering Inputs – Novice and expert operator steering inputs reduced by 75% in forward and by 67% combining forward and reverse.
*Material moved per hour
**Material moved per unit of fuel/Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)
Study conducted by Caterpillar, August 2022
DESIGNED FOR OPERATORS
- Completely redesigned cab for a whole new standard in visibility, comfort, productivity.
- 10-inch touchscreen display with easy-to-use operator interface.
- Grade Control display and main display positions can be swapped.
- Application Profile saves preferred machine settings.
- Distributed cab heating/cooling circulates air more effectively around the operator and helps reduce window fogging/frosting.
- Viscous cab mounts reduce vibration for greater operator comfort.
- Wider air suspension seat has multiple adjustments for personalized comfort.
- Entire armrest adjusts forward and backward independent of the seat.
- Detented thumbwheel on the steering control allows easy speed setting changes
- Ample storage spaces throughout the cab.
REMOTE CONTROL READY
- Cab is Remote Control Ready from the factory with external connector for dealer installation of the Cat Command system.
- Cat Command remote control technology provides full dozer maneuverability from a safe distance when working in hazardous environments.
- Command offers the choice of line-of-sight consoles or long-distance operator stations (non-line-of-sight).
- Take advantage of the dozer’s Grade and Assist features while out of the cab using the Command Station or Console.*
LOWER MAINTENANCE COSTS
- Up to 9% lower maintenance cost – designed specifically to save you money with updated components, longer service intervals, fewer scheduled maintenance tasks.
- Grouped service points and modular components with easy access to save you routine maintenance time.
- Fewer filters and service points save you time and money on routine maintenance
- Cab air filter replacement extended to 500 hours.
- Standard reversing fan extends the time between core clean-outs.
- 30-minute cab removal, if needed.
- Modular, self-contained HVAC unit is easier to service.
LONG TERM VALUE AND DURABILITY
- Cat C9.3B engine eliminates Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system for greater reliability; simplified with a single engine Electronic Control Module (ECM) and improved engine air filter.
- Redesigned fuel system provides greater reliability and more accurate fuel delivery.
- Heavy Duty Extended Life undercarriage – HDXL with DuraLink™ – features Positive Pin Retention pins and link improvements for up to 20 percent more seal life in high impact conditions.
- Cat Abrasion™ undercarriage is your lowest cost-per-hour solution for high abrasion and low impact jobsites. The design offers double the seal life and eliminates bushing turns, reducing your costs up to 50 percent per hour compared to traditional undercarriage. Reduces link scalloping for smoother operation.
- Common structures for Heavy Duty and Cat Abrasion undercarriage enable changes from one to the other.
- Purpose-built Waste and Forestry arrangements.
BUILT-IN SAFETY FEATURES
- Approximately 15% more glass area and Integrated ROPS offers added visibility.
- Standard integrated High Definition (HD) rear view camera in the primary display.
- Hood design and alignment of the exhaust and precleaner provide a better view to the front of the tractor.
- Bluetooth microphone gives you hands-free access to your mobile phone.
- Standard ladder at the back of the machine for convenient access for fuel fill, window cleaning and maintenance.
- Ground-level access to optional fast fuel fill.
- Grab rail on both sides of cab roof and tie offs provide added safety.
- Improved cab filtration for cleaner operator environment.
- Optional integrated LED warning lights.
WASTE HANDLING PERFORMANCE
- Improved sealing throughout the machine helps keep dust and debris out.
- Waste cab has impact-resistant polycarbonate doors, eliminating the need for door screens.
- Specialized guarding and seals throughout the machine help protect major components from impact and airborne debris.
- Multi-layer final drive guards, including a labyrinth-style guard with 90-degree turns, help keep dirt and debris away from the Duo-Cone™ seal to protect final drive oil.
- Pivot shaft seal guards help prevent debris from entering and damaging seals.
- Striker bars help prevent debris from damaging the machine.
- Tilt cylinder with rotating bushing type design help wrapping materials to roll off hoses.
- Heavy duty hinged radiator guard protects radiator and fan from penetration by material coming straight in or from under the blade.
- Cooling system designed for high debris environments, with automatic reversing fan and swing-out cleanout access.
- Hinged heavy duty belly guard for easy cleaning and to keep debris out.
- Lights mounted up and away from main debris area for protection, while still giving you plenty of light on the work area. An optional 12-light LED package provides 360-degree coverage.
- Powered precleaner is integrated and increases the cab filter change interval to 1,000 hours.
- Landfill blades and center-hole track shoes help you optimize your waste handler for the job.
- Laminated thermal shields and insulated Clean Emissions Module.
- Optimize machine performance for greatest productivity, while helping improve fuel efficiency and reduce greenhouse gas emissions with a fully automatic 4-speed transmission with lock-up clutch.
- The Cat® C9.3B engine meets U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final, EU Stage V, and Korea Tier 5 emission standards.
- Cat diesel engines are required to use ULSD (ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel with 15 ppm of sulfur or less) or ULSD blended with the following lower-carbon intensity fuels up to: 20% biodiesel FAME (fatty acid methyl ester) ** or 100% renewable diesel, HVO (hydrogenated vegetable oil) and GTL (gas-to-liquid) fuels. Refer to guidelines for successful application. Please consult your Cat dealer or “Caterpillar Machine Fluids Recommendations” (SEBU6250) for details.
- Cat® Grade with Slope Assist™ helps you avoid costly rework and wasteful fuel burn and greenhouse gas emissions by automating your blade position without a GPS signal.
- Cat® Grade with 3D automates blade movements using a GPS signal helping you follow a grade design, reducing fuel burn and greenhouse gas emissions by improving efficiency and accuracy.
- AutoCarry™ automates blade lift to reduce track slip for maximum efficiency on each pass to help lower fuel burn and greenhouse gas emissions.
- VisionLink® displays the CO2 emissions for monitored assets, calculated by fuel type for the Runtime Fuel Burned each day in a selected date range.
- Remote Flash minimizes downtime and maintenance time while keeping your asset running with maximum efficiency. Alerts for machine updates are sent virtually from your Cat dealer and updates can be deployed without a dealer technician needing to be onsite.
- Remote Troubleshoot decreases maintenance time and keeps your machine running with maximum efficiency by allowing your Cat dealer to virtually test the machine while working. Once a problem is identified, a technician can fix it the first time, saving time and money.
**Engines with no aftertreatment devices can use higher blends, up to 100% biodiesel.
- Standard Equipment
- Optional Equipment
- Standard and optional equipment may vary. Consult your Cat dealer for details.
- Power Train
- Fully-automatic 4-speed transmission
- Cat C9.3B diesel engine
- Double reduction planetary final drives
- Hydraulic reversing fan
- Operator Environment
- Fully redesigned cab, sound suppressed, with Integrated Roll Over Protective Structure (ROPS)
- Full-color 10-inch (254 mm) liquid crystal touch screen display
- Integrated rearview camera
- Adjustable operator controls/armrests
- Cab mounted modular Heating/Ventilation/Air Conditioning (HVAC) system
- Added storage areas
- Electrohydraulic implement and steering controls
- Cloth seat
- Lights - 6 LED
- Cat Technology
- Slope Indicate
- Product Link, Cellular
- Grade Control Ready Cab
- Remote Control Ready
- Remote Flash/Remote Troubleshoot
- Operator ID
- Machine Security - Passcode
- Compatibility with radios and base stations from Trimble, Topcon, and Leica
- Capability to install 3D grade systems from Trimble, Topcon, and Leica
- Redesigned track roller frame
- Service and Maintenance
- Rear access ladder
- Shovel holder
- Ground level service center
- 30-minute cab removal
- Fire extinguisher mounting provision
- Ecology drains
- Underhood work light
- Independent steering and implement pumps
- Load sensing hydraulics
- Ripper-ready rear hydraulics
- Standard and optional equipment may vary. Consult your Cat dealer for details.
- Operator Environment
- Deluxe leather heated/ventilated seat
- Powered precleaner
- Premium lights - 12 LED
- Integrated warning lights
- Communication radio ready
- Cat Technology
- ARO with Assist Package: Includes Attachment Ready Option (ARO), Slope Assist, Steer Assist, Stable Blade, Blade Load Monitor, Traction Control, AutoCarry
- Grade 3D with Assist Package: Includes full-color 10-inch (254 mm) touchscreen grade display, Steer Assist 3D, Grade receivers and antennas, Grade Software Enabled Attachment (SEA), ARO with Assist package features
- Product Link Dual Cellular/Satellite
- Grade Connectivity
- Machine Security - Bluetooth
- Cat Command for Dozing
- Variable Pitch Angle Tilt (VPAT)
- Straight blade
- Angle blade
- Foldable VPAT - under 3 m (9.9 ft) transport width (Not available in all regions)
- FirstCut cutting edges (SU blades)
- Heavy Duty (HDXL with DuraLink) or Cat Abrasion
- 10-Roller Fine Grading undercarriage
- Moderate Service or Extreme Service track shoes
- Service and Maintenance
- Fast fuel fill
- Refilling fuel pump (EU only)
- High speed oil change
- Rear implement work light
- High lift ripper with straight or curved shanks
- Ripper and winch-ready rear hydraulics
- Side and/or rear screens
- Forestry and Waste Special Arrangements