6040 Hydraulic Mining Shovel
DESCRIPTIONThe Cat® 6040 Hydraulic Mining Shovel is trusted on sites around the world — consistently delivering the productivity you demand with the durability you expect. This proven shovel is known for top performance and high reliability, backed by the on-the-ground support of the Cat dealer network.
But we’re always looking for ways to make the 6040 better. We’ve made improvements that enable peak production — delivering fast cycle times and high digging forces. We’ve increased uptime by making the 6040 more reliable and easier to service. And it’s now available for both highly regulated and lesser regulated countries with engines that meet U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final/EU Stage V standards without the need for DEF — saving time and cost during maintenance.The Cat® 6040 Hydraulic Mining Shovel is trusted on sites around the world — consistently delivering the the productivity you demand with the durability you expect. This proven shovel is known for top performance and high reliability, backed by the on-the-ground support of the Cat dealer network.
But we’re always looking for ways to make the 6040 better. We’ve made improvements that enable peak production — delivering fast cycle times and high digging forces. We’ve increased uptime by making the 6040 more reliable and easier to service. And it’s now available for both highly regulated and lesser regulated countries with engines that meet U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final/EU Stage V standards without the need for DEF — saving time and cost during maintenance.
- Safety glass in all windows and armored windshield protect operators.
- Five emergency shut-off switches, with one easily accessible in the cab to shut down the electrical system in case of emergencies.
- Safer access and egress with 45-degree hydraulically operated access stairway and emergency egress ladder with a self-closing door located in direct proximity to the cab.
- Safer service with lockable starter and battery isolation switch cabinet, improved sealing between engines and hydraulic pumps, improved routing and separation of hydraulic lines and electric cables.
- Excellent visibility, enhanced by optional two-camera system and standard LED high-brightness working and service lights.
- Easy access to intuitive, informative onboard electronics, plus large, color touchscreen that puts vital machine and diagnostic data at the operator’s fingertips.
- Maintained ambient temperature with optional dual HVAC system.
- Easily accessible ergonomic joysticks with Electronic-Hydraulic Servo Control, which delivers dynamic and precise response and ensures no hydraulic lines are present in the cab.
- Clean arrangement and less noise, with no hydraulic lines present in the cab or the cab module,
- Pneumatically cushioned, multi-adjustable, heated seat, plus auxiliary trainer seat with retractable seat belt.
RELIABILITY & DURABILITY
- Integrated carbody and crawler frames with Cat® HD undercarriage, which extends service life by up to 30%.
- Heavy duty fixed-axle rollers and idlers for improved performance, increased wear life, reduced internal friction and overheating, and elimination of grease consumption and lines.
- Heavy duty track group, which handles high field loads, and reduced pitch extension wear, which increases track chain life by 20% to 40%.
- Structures designed and fabricated to withstand the toughest digging conditions, with high-strength steel, heavy castings at attachment pivot points and up to 18% more operating weight.
- New Cat Type 4 air filters and pre-cleaner dust ejection system sized to improve overall life of the air filter.
PRODUCTIVITY & PERFORMANCE
- Durable Cat C32 engines, which offer unsurpassed performance, high power output and proven reliability, and have been proven to withstand the challenging conditions found at mine sites across the globe.
- Fast cycle times and improved energy efficiency delivered by closed-loop swing system, which also generates less heat.
- Greater operator control thanks to hydraulic system with five circuit hydraulics that allow for two-cylinder motions, two travel motions, and swing to be controlled simultaneously.
- Easier and faster face shovel operation with unique TriPower design, which generates superior mechanical leverage and control.
- Increased productivity and greater uptime with the twin engine concept, which enables up to 65% of full production with a single engine.
BUCKETS & GET
- Buckets and ground engaging tools (GET) designed to maximize durability and productivity and ideally matched to your shovel and application.
- Integrated to work as part of a machine system — helping you achieve high productivity and the lowest cost per ton.
- Variety of sizes and wear packages for the ideal match to your shovel and application.
- Deliver optimal payload when combined with Cat GET and wear components.
- Wear packages that protect your investment, including special liner material and lip shroud, wing shrouds and heel shrouds.
CONNECTIVITY & TECHNOLOGY
- Greater connectivity with improved Product Link™ Elite system, which increases the availability of data provided by the 6040.
- Enhanced diagnostic capabilities and troubleshooting functions with factory-installed Monitoring and Diagnostic System.
- Earliest possible detection of faults, with Board Control System that uses sensors throughout the machine to monitor operating data, record faults, and notify the operator audibly and visually.
- Connectivity features and Cat MineStar™ Health offerings that enable a proactive approach to maintenance.
- Better organized hoses and components, plus integration of Cat hoses and couplings, which offer industry-leading reliability and performance and ability to source locally.
- Service station that provides easy access to functions such as coolant, hydraulic oil, slew gear box oil, grease, and diesel and engine oil.
- Reduced maintenance downtime thanks to exchange intervals for engine oil and engine filters that have been increased from 500 to 1,000 hours.
- Clear arrangement of components on the superstructure, which allows easy access and serviceability for coolant expansion tanks, air intake filters, oil tank breather, HVAC units, grease tank, exhaust, and starter and battery isolator.
- Easy access to the slew gearboxes, rotary distributor, high pressure swing filters and travel spool valves.
- Highly regulated C32 engine certified to meet U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final/EU Stage V emissions standards without the need for DEF — saving time and cost during maintenance.
- Less heat and improved efficiency with the closed-loop swing circuit.
- Reduced waste and lower owning and operating costs thanks to increased commonality of systems and components, plus a reduction in unique part numbers.
- Preservation of raw materials, energy conservation and reduced emissions through the Cat Reman program, which returns end-of-life components to like-new condition.
- Optional Equipment
- Engine oil interval extension kit, up to 1,000 hrs
- Round container(s) for standard 200 L (53 gal) barrels (instead of 710 L (188 gal) grease container)
- Filling of round container(s) via service station
- Various cold-weather options
- Dual (redundancy) heating ventilating and air conditioning system
- Cab heating
- Camera monitoring system (two cameras and additional color display)
- Track pad width 1600 mm (5 ft 3 in) - Non HD
- Automatic lubrication of rollers by central lube system
- Belly plate for additional undercarriage protection
- Additional optional equipment available on request.
6040 Hydraulic Mining Shovel
Engine Output - SAE J1995
2079 HP / 1550 kW
43.7 ton (US) / 39.6 t
446 ton (US) / 404.6 t
Specifications above apply to the HRC Face Shovel configuration. Backhoe and Frontless configurations are also available for both HRC and LRC.
2 x Cat C32
Gross Power - SAE J1995
2079 HP / 1550 kW
Net Power - SAE J1349
1915 HP / 1428 kW
Power output relates to highly regulated engines. Lesser regulated engines are also available.
Number of Cylinders - Each Engine
5.71 in / 145 mm
6.38 in / 162 mm
1959 in³ / 32.1 l
Turbocharged and air-to-air aftercooled
Additional high-capacity water separator
Two-stage fuel filter including water separator
Heavy-duty air filters
Microprocessed engine management
Hydraulically driven radiator fan with electronically controlled fan speed
Fuel Tank Capacity
2098 gal (US) / 7940 l
Meets U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final and EU Stage V emission standards
Electrical System - Diesel Drive
Batteries in Series/Parallel Installation
6 x 210 Ah - 12 V each; 630 Ah - 24 V in total
6 maintenance-free batteries
Battery isolation relays and switches
Emergency stop switches accessible from ground level, in engine module and in operator's cab
14 LED high-brightness working flood lights
11 LED high-brightness service lights
6040 FS - Standard Track Pads
3.9 ft / 1200 mm
6040 FS - Operating Weight
891980 lb / 404600 kg
6040 FS - Ground Pressure
24.1 N/cm2 (35.0 psi)
6040 - Standard Track Pads
3.9 ft / 1200 mm
6040 - Operating Weight
897930 lb / 407300 kg
6040 - Ground Pressure
24.3 N/cm2 (35.3 psi)
1600 mm track pads available as option
Hydraulic System with Pump Managing System
Hydraulic Tank Capacity - Diesel Version - Approximately
898 gal (US) / 3400 l
Total Volume of Hydraulic Oil - Diesel Version - Approximately
1532 gal (US) / 5800 l
Main Pumps - Diesel Version
4 x variable swash plate pumps
Main Pumps - Maximum Oil Flow - Diesel Version
4 x 724 L/min (4 x 191 gal/min)
Maximum Pressure - Attachment
4350 psi / 300 bar
Maximum Pressure - Travel
5080 psi / 350 bar
Swing Pumps - Diesel Version
4 x reversible swash plate pump
Swing Pumps - Maximum Oil Flow - Diesel Version
4 x 321 L/min (4 x 85 gal/min)
Maximum Pressure - Swing Pumps
5080 psi / 350 bar
Hydraulic Oil Cooling
Diameter - Fan
60 in / 1524 mm
Oil Flow of Cooling Pumps - Diesel Version
2 x 799 L/min (2 x 211 gal/min)
Cooling system fully independent of all main circuits, i.e. controlled cooling capacity is available whenever engine is running
Fan speed is thermostatically controlled
Extremely high cooling efficiency to ensure optimum oil temperature
Gear type cooling pumps supplying high-volume, low-pressure oil to aluminum coolers
Variable axial piston pumps supplying low-volume, high-pressure oil to fans
3 compact planetary transmissions with axial piston motors
Wet multiple disc brake, spring-loaded/hydraulically released
Maximum Swing Speed - Diesel Version
4.7 r/min / 4.7 r/min
Triple-race roller bearing with sealed internal gearing
Dirt wipers at swing ring to prevent build-up of debris between swing ring and carbody
Closed-loop swing circuit with torque control
Hydraulic braking of the swing motion by counteracting control
All raceways and the internal gearing of swing ring supplied by automatic central lubrication system
Travel Speed - 1st Stage - Maximum
0.93 mile/h / 1.5 km/h
Travel Speed - 2nd Stage - Maximum
1.55 mile/h / 2.5 km/h
Maximum Tractive Force
471260 lb / 2097 kN
Gradeability - Travel Drives - Maximum
57 % / 57 %
Track Pads - Each Side
Bottom Rollers - Each Side
Support Rollers - Each Side
2 plus a skid plate in between
Travel Drives - Each Side
1 planetary transmission with 2 two-stage axial piston motors
Wet multiple disc brake, spring applied/hydraulically released
All running surfaces of sprockets, idlers, rollers and track links are hardened
Acoustic travel alarm
Cast double-grouser combined pad-links with bushings connected by hardened full floating pins
All teeth contact areas of sprocket and pad links are hardened
Fully hydraulic self-adjusting track tensioning system with membrane accumulator
Automatic hydraulic retarder valve to prevent over-speed on downhill travel
Hydraulic Oil Cooling
Diameter - Fan
2 × 1524 mm (2 × 60 in)
Operator's Eye Level - Approximately
22.31 ft / 6.8 m
Internal Dimensions of Cab - Length
7.22 ft / 2200 mm
Internal Dimensions of Cab - Width
5.25 ft / 1600 mm
Internal Dimensions of Cab - Height
7.05 ft / 2150 mm
Switch in seat cushion to automatically neutralize the hydraulic controls when operator leaves the seat
Pneumatically cushioned and multi-adjustable comfort seat with lumbar support, seat heating, safety belt, head- and armrests
Roller blinds at all windows
Windshield with parallel intermittent wiper/washer
All-round safety glass, armored windshield and sliding side window
Operator Protective Guard (Top Guard)
Single HVAC with option for Dual HVAC
Joystick controls integrated in independently adjustable seat consoles
Fold-away auxiliary seat with safety belt
External sun shields at side and rear windows
Sliding emergency ladder (kick-down type) with ladder cage
Machine access via retractable access stairway, stairway angle approximately 45 degrees, hydraulically operated
Robust instrument panel including large colored BCS screen with transflective technology
Board Control System (BCS III) Features (1)
USB, Lan (TCP/IP) and CAN BUS interfaces for data export
Board Control System (BCS III) Features (2)
On-screen PDF documentation (e.g. operating instructions, technical handbook, spare parts catalog, electric circuit diagram)
Board Control System (BCS III) Features (3)
Robust instrument panel including large (12 in) colored touch screen for intuitive handling
Board Control System (BCS III) Features (4)
Electronic monitoring, data logging & diagnostic system for vital signs & service data of engines, hydraulic & lube systems
Board Control System (BCS III) Features (5)
On-screen troubleshooting assistance
Board Control System (BCS III) Features (6)
Graphic charts of logged data
Board Control System (BCS III) Features (7)
Fault memory with storage of related conditions
Automatic Lubrication System
Capacity - Grease Container
188 gal (US) / 710 l
Dual-circuit system with hydraulically driven heavy-duty pumps and electronic time relay control adjust the pause/lube times
System failures displayed by Board Control System
Grease filters (200 µm) between service station and container, as well as directly behind grease pump
Connected to the lubrication system are: - pivot points of attachment, bucket and cylinders
Connected to the lubrication system are: - raceways of the swing roller bearing - two greasing pinions for the internal gearing of the swing ring
All buckets (FS and BH) are equipped with a wear package consisting of: (1)
- Special liner material covering main wear areas inside and outside of bucket - Lip shrouds between teeth
All buckets (FS and BH) are equipped with a wear package consisting of: (2)
- Wing shrouds on side walls - Heel shrouds at bottom edges
Shovel attachment with unique TriPower kinematics ensuring the following main features: (1)
- Automatic roll-back limiter to prevent material spillage - Kinematic assistance to hydraulic forces
Shovel attachment with unique TriPower kinematics ensuring the following main features: (2)
- Horizontal automatic constant-angle bucket guidance - Vertical automatic constant-angle bucket guidance
Shovel attachment with unique TriPower kinematics ensuring the following main features: (3)
- Constant boom momentum throughout the whole lift arc - Crowd force assistance
Inspection hole in monoboom BH
Pressure-free lowering of boom (FS and BH) and stick (FS) by means of a float valve
Special wear packages for highly abrasive materials on request
Catwalks with rails at boom (FS and BH)
Welding procedures allow for internal counter-welding (double prep weld) wherever possible
Boom and sticks are stress-relieved after welding
Boom and sticks are torsion-resistant, welded box design of high-tensile steel with massive steel casting at pivot areas
Guards for shovel cylinders (FS)
Bucket Capacity - Backhoe (heaped 1:1)
28.8 yd³ / 22 m³
Bucket Capacity - Face Shovel (heaped 2:1)
28.8 yd³ / 22 m³
Retractable Service Station
Retractable service station installed underneath the engine module and easily accessible from ground
6040 FS - Note
Other track pads available on request