New | 988K Block Handler Arrangement
Introduced in 1963, the 988 has been the industry leader for 50 years. Focused on helping our customers succeed, we have continued to build upon each new series. The 988K continues our legacy of reliability, performance, safety, operator comfort, serviceability, and efficiency. The Cat 988K Block Handler was designed to withstand the demanding and harsh environment of block handling applications. The features of the 988K Block Handler work together to provide a durable and reliable machine to meet your block handling needs.
|Engine Model||Cat® C18 ACERT™|
|Net Power||541.0 hp|
|Emissions||U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final/EU Stage IV, Tier 2 Equivalent|
|Gross (ISO 14396)||580.0 hp|
|Net Power - SAE J1349||541.0 hp|
|Peak Power Speed||1500.0 RPM|
|Peak Power Speed: Gross - ISO 14396||580.0 hp|
|Peak Power Speed: Gross - SAE J1995||588.0 hp|
|Peak Power Speed: Net Power - SAE J1349||541.0 hp|
|Peak Torque @ 1,200 rpm||2104.0 lb ft|
|Rated Speed||1700.0 RPM|
|Torque Rise||58.0 %|
|Operating Weight||135602.0 lb|
|Hydraulic System - Steering|
|Maximum Flow||74.0 gal/min|
|Relief Valve Setting - Steering||4641.0 psi|
|Steering Cycle Time (high idle)||3.4 Seconds|
|Steering Cycle Time (low idle)||5.6 Seconds|
|Steering System - Circuit||Pilot, load sensing|
|Steering System - Pump||Piston, variable displacement|
|Total Steering Angle||86.0 Degrees|
|Sound Performance - Standard|
|Exterior Sound Level||111.0 dB(A)|
|Interior Sound Level||71.0 dB(A)|
|Oscillation Angle||13.0 Degrees|
|Hydraulic Cycle Time|
|Lower Float Down||3.5 Seconds|
|Rack back||4.5 Seconds|
|Total Hydraulic Cycle Time (empty bucket)||18.2 Seconds|
|Direct Drive Forward 1||Lock-up disabled|
|Direct Drive Forward 2||6.7 mph|
|Direct Drive Forward 3||11.9 mph|
|Direct Drive Forward 4||21.0 mph|
|Direct Drive Reverse 1||4.3 mph|
|Direct Drive Reverse 2||7.7 mph|
|Direct Drive Reverse 3||13.7 mph|
|Forward 1||3.6 mph|
|Forward 2||4.5 mph|
|Forward 3||11.4 mph|
|Forward 4||19.0 mph|
|Reverse 1||4.1 mph|
|Reverse 2||7.3 mph|
|Reverse 3||13.0 mph|
|Transmission Type||Cat planetary power shift|
|Sound Performance - Suppression|
|Exterior Sound Level||109.0 dB(A)|
|Interior Sound Level||70.0 dB(A)|
|Brakes||SAE J1473 OCT90, ISO 3450:1992|
|Hydraulic System - Lift/Tilt|
|Cylinders, Double Acting: Lift, Bore and Stroke||235 mm × 976 mm (9.3 in × 38.4 in)|
|Cylinders, Double Acting: Tilt, Bore and Stroke||291 mm × 671 mm (11.5 in × 26.4 in)|
|Lift/Tilt System||Variable displacement piston|
|Lift/Tilt System - Circuit||Pilot operated - EH control, flow sharing|
|Maximum Flow @ 1,700 rpm||13.7 gal/min|
|Maximum Flow at 1,400-1,860 rpm||153.0 gal/min|
|Pilot System||Variable displacement piston|
|Relief Valve Setting||551.0 psi|
|Relief Valve Setting - Lift/Tilt||4757.0 psi|
|Service Refill Capacities|
|Cooling System||31.7 gal|
|Diesel Exhaust Fluid Tank||8.7 gal|
|Differentials and Final Drives - Front||49.1 gal|
|Differentials and Final Drives - Rear||49.1 gal|
|Fuel Tank||188.1 gal|
|Hydraulic System (factory fill)||125.5 gal|
|Hydraulic System (tank only)||63.4 gal|
Delivering fuel efficiency you demand through integrated machine systems.
Cat® C18 ACERT Engine
The Cat C18 ACERT engine is built and tested to meet your most demanding applications while meeting U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final/EU Stage IV, Tier 2 Equivalent emission standards.
- Fully integrated electronic engine controls works in concert with the entire machine to make your fuel go farther.
- Use less fuel idling with Engine Idle Shutdown.
- Maximized durability with Delayed Engine Shutdown.
Cat Planetary Powershift Transmission
Featuring all new Advanced Productivity Electronic Control Shifting (APECS) transmission controls provides greater momentum on grades and fuel savings by carrying that momentum through the shift points.
Impeller Clutch Torque Converter (ICTC)
Enable your operators to maximize efficiency by varying machine rimpull while putting more horsepower to hydraulics.
- Reduced tire wear
- Enables full throttle shifts for faster cycle times
- Provides smooth approach to the dump target for less spillage and faster cycle times.
Cat Torque Converter with Lock-up Clutch
- Eliminates TC losses while lowering system heat
- Improves travel speeds
- Reduces cycle times in load and carry operations
Enabling maximum productivity and efficiency, all day every day. The 988K systems work hard to save you fuel through advanced technologies. Utilizing On Demand Throttle, operators maintain normal operation with the left pedal and implements while the 988K manages the engine speed.
- Provides similar control and feel to our traditional throttle lock feature.
- Efficiency of manual throttle and the ergonomics of throttle lock.
- Reduced fuel consumption by up to 20% compared to the 988H.
Unique features for block handling applications.
The 988K Block Handler delivers stability and durability with an optimized counterweight for block handling applications.
High Rimpull Power Train
The 988K Block Handler is capable of moving the heaviest blocks out of your quarry pit. The high rimpull power train features a torque converter and transmission specially designed for this application to maximize rimpull.
Quick Coupler Activation
The Block Handler includes an additional hydraulic valve with the Quick Coupler, allowing the operator to switch work tools and immediately lock the work tool during load and carry applications.
Larger Tilt and Lift Cylinders
The 988K Block Handler comes equipped with larger tilt and lift cylinders on the linkage that help improve load control and ensure safe and long lasting operation.
Ride control works by using an accumulator to dampen the linkage motion, acting as a shock absorber. It provides the operator with a smoother ride over rough terrain, enabling a more comfortable ride at higher speeds.
Optimized Z-bar Linkage
- Linkage layout designed to maximize lift capability in block handling application.
- High load stresses are absorbed by solid steel lift arms.
- Enhanced strength in key pin areas through the use of one piece castings.
- Stress released lift arms increase durability and lengthen time to repair.
Move material more efficiently with improved power and control.
Steering and Transmission Integrated Control System (STIC™)
Experience maximum responsiveness and control with STIC that combines directional selection, gear selection and steering into a single lever.
- Simple side-to-side motion turns machine right or left, minimizing operator movements.
- Easy to operate finger controlled gear selection.
- Smoother, faster cycles and less operator fatigue through the use of low effort integrated controls.
Cat Planetary Powershift Transmission
Building your success begins with a best-in-class transmission designed specifically for mining applications.
- Consistent, smooth shifting and efficiency through integrated electronic controls that utilize Advanced Productivity Electronic Control Strategy (APECS).
- Long life and reliability through heat treat gear and metallurgy.
- Four forward and three reverse speeds to match your application.
Cat C18 ACERT Engine
Durability and efficiency at the heart of your 988K comes from the Cat C18 ACERT Engine. Optimum performance is built in through the use of a 6 cylinder, four-stroke design.
- Optimized performance and quick engine response with an electronic control module.
- Reliable efficiency with complete control over injection timing, duration and pressure with Mechanically Actuated Electronic Unit Injection (MEUI™).
- Extended engine life and improved fuel efficiency with reduced rated speed.
- Designed to meet U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final/EU Stage IV, Tier 2 Equivalent emission standards.
Impeller Clutch Torque Converter (ICTC) and Rimpull Control System (RCS)
Lower your cost per ton utilizing advanced ICTC and RCS for modulated rimpull.
- Reduce tire slippage and wear by modulating rimpull from 100 to 25 percent while depressing left pedal. After 25 percent rimpull is achieved the left pedal applies the brake.
- Reduce the potential for wheel slippage without reducing hydraulic efficiency with RCS.
- Improve fuel efficiency in certain applications with our lock-up clutch torque converter providing direct drive.
Productivity enabling you to move more and make more.
Positive Flow Control Hydraulics
Increase efficiency through our Positive Flow Control (PFC) Hydraulic System. PFC has concurrent pump and valve control. By optimizing pump control, hydraulic oil flow is proportionate to implement lever movement.
- Fast, productive cycles are enabled by the fully variable implement pump.
- Increase bucket feel and control through increased hydraulic response.
- Consistent performance and efficiency with lower system heat.
- Full hydraulic flow down to 1,400 engine rpm enabled by flow sharing technology.
Electro Hydraulic Controls
Operators increase productivity with our responsive implements feature.
- Operate comfortably through electronically controlled hydraulic cylinder stops.
- Handle easy-to-use soft detent controls.
- Conveniently set automatic implement kickouts from inside the cab.
Confident loader operation starts with precise machine control enabled by the 988K’s load sensing hydraulic steering system.
- Increase efficiency with our variable displacement piston pumps.
- Enhance operator comfort with integrated steering and transmission control functions.
Benefit from extended performance and reliability of your hydraulic system with our advanced filtration system.
- Case drain screens.
- Hydraulic oil cooler return filter.
- Pilot filter.
- Return screens inside hydraulic tank.
- Axle oil cooler screens if equipped.
Best-in-class operator comfort and ergonomics.
Your operators can work more efficiently and stay comfortable with our customer-inspired cab features.
Entry and Exit
Enter and exit the cab easily and safely with these newly designed, ergonomic features.
- Fold up STIC steer/armrest.
- Reduced access stairway angles.
- Standard stairway lighting.
Cat Comfort Series III Seat
Enhance comfort and reduce operator fatigue with Cat Comfort Series III seat.
- Mid back design and extra thick, contoured cushions.
- Air suspension system.
- Easy-to-reach seat levers and controls for six way adjustments.
- Seat-mounted implement pod and STIC steer that moves with the seat.
- 76 mm (3 in) wide retractable seat belt.
Ergonomic placement of switches and Information display keep your operators comfortable all day every day.
- Large backlit membrane switches feature LED activation indicators.
- Switches feature ISO symbols for quick function identification.
- Two position rocker switch activates the electro hydraulic park brake.
Your operator’s productivity is enhanced with our clean, comfortable cab environment.
- Experience reduced vibrations from isolation cab mounts and seat air suspension.
- Maintain desired cab temperature with automatic temperature controls.
- Pressurized cab with filtered air.
- Sound level reduced to a quiet 71 dB(A).
- Convenient floor storage tray/lunch box.
Greater productivity through Integrated Electronic Systems.
The 988K electronic systems have been completely integrated to function as one machine. This integration creates a smart machine and more informed operator, maximizing the productivity of both.
Cat Product Link™
Cat Product link allows remote monitoring of equipment to improve overall fleet management effectiveness. Events and diagnostic codes, as well as hours, fuel, idle time and other information are transmitted to a secure web based application, VisionLink®. VisionLink includes powerful tools to convey information to users and dealers, including mapping, working and idle time, fuel level and more.
We have worked hard to help our customers and operators perform at their best through our Vital Information Management System (VIMS 3G).
- Easy-to-view graphical information display features a large touch screen interface.
- Intuitive operation and easy navigation with our enhanced user interface.
- Decrease service time by keeping operators informed about machine system malfunction or operation.
Enabling high uptime by reducing your service time.
We can help you succeed by ensuring your 988K has design features to reduce your downtime.
- Safe and convenient service with ground level or platform access and grouped service points.
- Swing-out doors on both sides of the engine compartment provide easy access to important daily service checks.
- Ecology drains for ease of service and prevention of spilling potential environmental contaminants.
- Reduce downtime with VIMS system notifications so your operators and technicians can resolve any problems before failure.
- Ground level access to transmission control valves.
Your Cat dealers know how to keep your machines productive.
Legendary Cat Dealer Support
A valued partner, your Cat dealer is available whenever you need them.
- Preventive maintenance programs and guaranteed maintenance contracts.
- Best-in-class parts availability.
- Improve your efficiency with operator training.
- Genuine Cat Remanufactured parts.
Making your safety our priority.
We are constantly improving our products in an effort to provide a safe work environment for the operator and those who work on your job site.
- Left and right hand stairs with 45 degree angle enhance safety for operators getting on and off the 988K.
- Continuous walkway with non-skid surfaces are designed into the service areas.
- Maintain three points of contact at all times through ground level or platform accessible service areas.
- Optional heated mirrors allow good visibility for safe operation in inclement weather.
- Standard Cat Vision or optional Cat Detect with radar increase operator awareness around the machine.
- Optional HID or LED lights provide excellent workspace visibility.
- Optional cab mounted LED warning beacons.
- Reduced vibrations to the operator with isolated cab mounts and seat mounted implement and steering controls.
- Low interior sound levels.
- Pressurized cab with filtered air.
- Standard 76 mm (3 in) seat belts on the operator seat.
Work tool options to meet your needs.
(1) Quick Coupler
The quick coupler is designed for optimal utilization of lifting and break-out forces with Cat cylinder, safety valves, pressure and isolating valves, safety covers and lock indicators. It has enhanced visibility and has been optimized for handling large rocks and blocks.
(2) Breaker Tine
Center-mounted, heavy-duty single-piece forged fork tine is used for prying loose large stone blocks. It is built with an extra thick tine to handle a variety of materials in this demanding application.
Heavy-duty pallet forks are engineered to handle weight and load stress when maneuvering and placing blocks in quarry operations. Dual tine forks are designed to allow blocks to be placed close to the machine for greater balance and safe handling.
(4) Clearing Rake
Used primarily for clearing and controlling loose objects at the quarry face and working levels, the block handling rake is designed with a curved boom for enhanced operator visibility and object placement.
(5) Rock Bucket
Heavy-duty bucket offers superior durability, protection and performance in rock and overburden operations in block quarries. It includes large size teeth and segments. Its HD400 (high wear resistant) metal shell and bottom offer maximum strength, durability and wear life.
(6) Marble Bucket
Special bucket construction including the HD400-metal shell and bottom help the bucket effectively load large blocks and boulders while maintaining durability. The corner teeth ease block tilting and handling. The heavy-duty V-edge is particularly suited for handling high-value breakable marbles before cutting operations.
(7) Block Bucket Heavy-Duty
Special bucket construction loads very large squared blocks and boulders. The deep carved sides and extra long heavy-duty bottom allow the special V-edge to penetrate under large blocks. The interior bucket profile allows blocks to further fit back in the bucket for increased load and lift capabilities and better balance and rack-back. Its HD400-metal shell and bottom offers maximum strength, durability and wear life.
Other Models in this Category
- 986H - 2012 - LRC - 18371534
- 986H - 2014, AME, GN1, GN2, India, Indonesia, LACD, Paci - 18589879
- 988K - 2013, Global - 18438276
- 988K Millyard Arrangement - 2013, Tier 4 Final, Global - 18553647
- 988K (Steel Mill) - 2014, Tier 4, Global - 18580422
- 990K - 2014, Global - 18568699
- 990K Millyard Arrangement - 2015, Tier 4 Final, Global - 1000001791
- 990K (Steel Mill) - 2015, Tier 4 Final, Global - 1000001792
- 992K - 2011, Tier 4 Final (NA) - 18266768
- 992K - 2016, Tier 4 Final OR Tier 2, Global, excl. Japan - 1000028683
- 993K - 2012, LRCHRC - 18366798
- 994K - 2014, Tier 1, Global - 1000001147
Select Product Category
- Articulated Trucks
- Asphalt Pavers
- Backhoe Loaders
- Cold Planers
- Compact Track and Multi Terrain Loaders
- Material Handlers
- Motor Graders
- Off-Highway Trucks
- On-Highway Trucks
- Road Reclaimers
- Site Prep Tractors
- Skid Steer Loaders
- Track Loaders
- Wheel Dozers
- Wheel Excavators
- Wheel Loaders
- Wheel Tractor-Scrapers